Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pinterest...not just for pinning!

Okay, so I've been on the whole band wagon for pinterest for some time now but let's be honest. Pinterest is a lot of day dreaming. If you don't know what it is here's a brief idea from their website (pinterest.com):

"Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes."

Basically, it's a bunch of pictures that you (or others) have pinned and you can click on to get to the original linked site to reference information. So, say you're looking at that recipe for brownies (mmmmmm, brownies) and you want to remember it for later. Well, there's a button you can click to pin the picture (always need a picture to pin something) and then it saves it on you're Pinterest board. And you can make all kinds of different boards. Plus, you can search other people' boards too to get ideas. I have different boards for different categories...one for home, DIY stuff, recipes (yum), MEN (double yum), funny quotes...you know just anything you wanna remember. It's your own stash of inspiration pictures. It's addicting.

Anyhow. I've tried quite a few things on pinterest so I wanted to share. Just little DIY things here and there.

So, this is a pinterest post through and through.

1).  Eye Makeup remover:


 
Quick recipe I found for makeup remover (even does a good job with my waterproof mascara).
Ingredients:

1 C water

1½ TBSP Baby Shampoo (tear free)

⅛ TSP Baby Oil

I had baby oil but not shampoo so I bought a little trial size 1.00 shampoo. Mix all ingredients and voila!


2) DIY flip flops:

These were only 3.00 total to make. I used a shirt for the fabric because of the color and the flip flops were just cheapies from Walmart.

Cut off the flip flop tops like so: Okay, I thought I had a picture of this but realized that I do not. So, whatevs. Cut off the rubber part of the flip flops. The straps.

Then make 4 strips about 3-4in wide and 12-15 in. long from your fabric. Insert 2 strips into the thong part of the shoe. Tie a secure knot (should fit in the bottom of the sole comfortably) like so:


Then about an inch above the top of the shoe, tie another knot. That inch is were it goes between your toe.

Separate and put each strip through holes on sides and tie knot off. Like so:

Done! Can do this with all kinds of fabrics and colors. It won't be fall here in Florida until about, January so I've got months and months left of flip flop weather.(and yes, I know these are crappy photos. And no, I don't seem to really care right now).

3) Nutella brownies:

Easiest friggin' recipe in the world! Only 4 ingredients (3 if you don't count the nuts that were added as the 4th since it's optional).
Ingredients:

1/2 cup Nutella spread

1 large egg

5 tablespoons all=purpose flour

1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts

Mix Nutella and egg. Add flour. Put in muffin tins (lined, unlined but greased, you know the drill). Sprinkle with nuts. I had pecans so that's what I used instead of hazelnuts. Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes. Awesomeness ensues. Eat. Then hide the evidence when you realize you've eaten like, 7 of these in one sitting. This is why there is no pic (they were MINI brownies okay!? Sheesh.).

4) Book Nails:
With my obsession of reading this is perfect for me.
1. Put on nail polish and let dry. 2. Dip fingernail in alcohol-basically any will do, vodka is suggested. 3. Press a strip of newspaper big enough to cover the whole nail on to your alcohol soaked nail. 4. Pull off slowly and be really impressed with yourself. 5. Paint top coat if desired.

Here's what mine looked like:




Not as crisp as the inspiration pic but it was my first go and turned out pretty okay. I loved it.
Oh, and I used rubbing alcohol rather than liquor since it worked better than the rum I had on hand.

There are so many other things I want to try from pinterest but those are just a few of the cheapie things I've found just by browsing others' boards. I'm truly in love and if you need any inspiration of any kind then Pinterest is the place to go to find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment