Wednesday, October 27, 2010

BAKING FAILS...

 I don't have a huge passion for cooking or baking but I like to change things up every once in awhile so I go on the hunt for new (easy!) recipes. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. In this case one failed completely and the other just wasn't what I was expecting.

My first recipe was a variation of a s'more. Now, to be fair, this was an off-the-cuff attempt at something a co-worker made. She brought in these lovely little bites that she called Baked S'Mores and said it was super easy. So, like the idiot I am, I thought I'd try to make them without actually getting a recipe from her. I figured, it's graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate baked together, how hard can it be? Answer-hard for stupid people like me.

My approach was pretty haphazard with just a guesstimation of a recipe. Here's what I did-
Greased a mini-muffin pan. Put crumbled up graham crackers on the bottom of each muffin dish, layered a wedge of Hershey's chocolate bar on top, then 3-4 mini-marshmallows. More crumbled graham crackers and another wedge of chocolate on top:

 Then I baked it for waaaaaaay too long (on 325 degrees). See, this might have turned out ok had I not over baked it. I dunno. Anyhow. Big fat FAIL. I think it should have been more like this recipe from allrecipes.com. If I had done a simple google first I would have realized that but I figured-it's S'mores, how can you mess that up? Apparently you can.

Nevertheless, I will try this again per the recipe above and I'll let you know how it turns out.


The second recipe was something I found from a blog I visit called, With a Cherry On Top. It was for Homemade Oreos. You can find the recipe on her blog here.

These didn't turn out too badly but they just didn't taste like an Oreo to me... I was sort of disappointed. I think the recipe for the filling had too much vanilla so I might try these again but cut down on vanilla. The cookie part was ok, but again, not like an Oreo. I made them for my husbands birthday since he isn't a big fan of cake but loves Oreos. I think he was underwhelmed too. I should have just stuck with something I know he really likes for his birthday but I really thought these would be good (and, to be fair, they weren't bad by any means...but wow-it's difficult to replicate the yumminess of Oreos).

I might try this recipe again but tweak it a little (but we see how my off-the-cuff tweaking can go so who knows).

No comments:

Post a Comment